Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ribbon, ribbon and more ribbon

So FINALLY!! I have been able to sit down a get a couple posts saved and ready to post.  Hopefully I can start posting every few days instead of weeks or months at a time.  AND thank God for electricity!!  I cannot tell you how difficult last Wednesday was for me, it's sad that I felt that way,  but maybe it was God's way of telling me I needed to sit and do nothing.  Even though it was rough, it was nice to sit down and read all day, something I had been wanting to do for quite a while! 


So as many of you may know, I love to craft, it's a passion of mine.  It's something that I love to do and wish I had more time to do it.  My dream is that someday my hobby would turn into a job. Not sure how, but someday... 

When I started planning all the decorations for our niece's second birthday, I seemed to keep finding things I wanted to do, but the ribbon topiary really stood out.  I thought they would be perfect for the cake table, which they were, little did I know exactly how much TIME they would take.  Truly in the end though it was worth all the cutting and pinning of ribbons.  They turned out great and everyone loved them!


Materials you will need.

Start pinning!

Finally finished!



They worked perfect on the cake table! I couldn't have asked for them to look better.
Since it was summertime I was able to find super cute white pots at Michael's, but you can use a variety of bases. There are also many options to use for filling at the base. I thought that tulle would look cuter than another filler. Since I had used a Styrofoam ball I was able to tie pieces of tulle to floral pins and stick them in. Just be careful because you can easily use too many and then it looks too full. Keep in mind that this much ribbon can get to be pricey, so watch for some great sales at your favorite craft store. If you are worried about cost, try using a thicker ribbon, you will obviously use less and it will give your topiary a different dimension. There are many many other toparies I would love to make, I'm thinking a Halloween one may be in the future...


Check out polkadotbirthday for a full tutorial, you can find it here.  Of course I checked her blog today and found another super cute project to do.  The list just seems to be getting longer...

.




2 comments:

  1. Super cute! BTW...you need to mention how much you LOVE liquid stitch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete